Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April Backpacking

So we went backpacking at the last minute.  Ok, last minute is a little exaggerated.  We were planning to go later in the month. But that had a schedule conflict.  And it was spring break. And the weather was GREAT. And we made the decision Wednesday night to go on Friday night.  Then I got out of work 2 hours early.  It all just fit.

We went to a local lake and packed in to an established campsite.  Lower impact if we reuse the same area.  This one has some shelters built in and a pit latrine (high times in the back country).   We decided not to put up a tent, and instead used a shelter built by an Eagle Scout from Troop 222.  They meet in our church building too.  We also met a great family in the campsite- well, we met the dad & 3 oldest kids.  Ages matched up with ours, among several other coincidences.  Fortunately, their camera had a flash card, so we got some pics from them.  What did we do before email?

Here we are just heading out.  Actually this sign is for the trail, if we take the long way.  We did not want to do that.



In the campsite with new friends.  Petzl would be proud.
Here is the shelter in the morning.
And a close up of Sara & Paul- Sara asked me to take this one, I assume because she wanted it posted.  What a good husband I am.

Here are all the kids before heading out.  (We still had a little packing to do).
And just us-- because Sara said I had to be in one of the pictures too.

All in all it was a perfect first trip.  More to come.

2 comments:

andrea said...

That wasn't the shelter I expected to see when I started to read the post. Impressive.

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

paul is definately the cutest kid ever in the whole world :)