We've determined that this week will be dedicated to all the cub requirements we put off with the move. Today Scot finished or nearly finished 4 Academic Belt Loops (Chess, Science, Astronomy, and Weather). Plus he completed the Science activity. James also did a lot, and he's down to 3 requirements for his Wolf. One of his tasks was helping make dinner, including setting the table & washing dishes. He was doing great peeling the potatoes until he peeled his thumb. Of course, nobody was told until after we'd all eaten. At least he got a chance to practice the first aid he'd already learned.
Most of the afternoon was then spent by Scot and James making a cardboard bean bag toss game (for James' arrow point). We played it for family home evening. (Pictured above is Maggie with her beanbag, Paul's box, and the beanbag game.) With no end of cardboard in this house, Maggie also got into the spirit and made her own box. I wouldn't let her use a knife to cut the shapes so she very methodically poked her drawn outline with her scissors until the shape fell through. Then, of course, Amy wanted her own box (I kept ignoring her questions until she moved onto something else--didn't take too long). Scot spent his free moments making a play box for Paul which he lined with his blanket and stocked with Cheerios & water. I had to nix the plastic window ("but Mom, I poked holes in it").
These boys are amazing & so incredibly smart. And even when they are annoyed to death by the girls (today that was literal) they still manage to take care of one another. They are patient and polite, willing and quick. I am so lucky to be their mom!!
I have one last example to show off the boys' talents. Before we began working on scout stuff, Scot wrote a newspaper, "The Daily Kids." He did say afterword that he'll have to change the name to "The Weekly Kids"--not sure he wants to do it every day. The handwriting may be a little tricky, but you'll be sure to notice the sudoku, comic, and headlines. The comic is a race between a snail and frog (maybe toad??). It's his take on the tortoise and the hare.

1 comment:
What an enjoyable laugh at the end of the day. Oh how I could be a fly on the wall when Scot & James get going on a project.
Sounds like a great in the Nielson household.
Post a Comment