After a crazy week (the kids didn't have school Monday or Tuesday because of the power outage--as of Sunday there were still people in our ward without power), we finally came to the grand celebration of James' birthday. I made a cake Saturday night. James requested a lemon cake with white frosting, coconut sprinkled on top, and a mini car cake surrounded by candles. Everything came out just as he requested except for the coconut. Who knew that coconut was so flammable when being toasted in the oven?? I must admit, I did not respond well to my first kitchen fire, small as it was. It was good that Brian had the common sense to take the tray over to the sink and douse it with water. In my mind I was wondering, "where is the baking soda?" Anyway, we now have a sure knowledge that the smoke detector works in the kitchen.
Sunday, the "big day," we made James wait until after church and dinner to open presents and have cake. His birthday dinner was tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. As dinner was getting cleaned up, we noticed Paul was wandering around the dining room with what looked like butter all over his hands and mouth. Alas, the cake was not high enough to escape his outstretched hand, and we realized it was frosting and not butter all over him. (Now, every time he sees the cake he stretches out his arm and whines for a piece.) So, unfortunately James did not get the first bite of birthday cake.

James got some fun presents: cards and money from G.Grandma Nielson and Grandma Charlotte, an imaginary paint set from Maggie (it's a paper brush and paints colored on paper--Maggie told him, "you can use it to color on anything"--James colored more chocolate chips on the cookies he took to school today for his class); zoo tickets for Saturday from Brian and I; Scot make him a laminated writing board for their closet; and Paul gave him an i.o.u. for a scorpion puzzle at the scout office. Amy had started drawing him several pictures, but apparently none of them were worthy enough for the birthday boy. The best surprise by far was Grandma and Grandpa Nielson's gift. James loved the card with silly birthday jokes and was so excited for the sport stacking cups set. The boys are getting pretty good, but I think it'll take a while of steady practicing to challenge the record holders.
I think James had a great birthday. He practiced hard this week while school was out to learn to ride his bike up and down the hill, and now he goes out practically every day after school. Now when it's raining he can practice his speed stacking instead. The only downside to his birthday being over? Maggie asking how many days it is until hers!
I think James had a great birthday. He practiced hard this week while school was out to learn to ride his bike up and down the hill, and now he goes out practically every day after school. Now when it's raining he can practice his speed stacking instead. The only downside to his birthday being over? Maggie asking how many days it is until hers!

3 comments:
happy birthday james, seems like you had a great day!
it looks like a great day. James.. I challenge you to speed stacking game at Thanksgiving.
Happy Belated Birthday.
Andrea--James accepts your challenge! Better bring your "A" game.
Post a Comment