Sunday, July 27, 2008

Pioneer Day Celebration


The ward celebrated Pioneer Day this year with breakfast and activities Saturday morning. The bishopric served up pancakes and scrambled eggs (our electric griddle was one of many used). Ward members brought fruit, breads, and toppings. We took Pumpkin Raisin muffins that Scot had made on Friday during a massive housecleaning/laundry/muffin-making day. The kids were a little worried at first because no one was eating them (there was a ton of food), but by the end they were gone, and overall, the kids were grateful not to have to pick out raisins from any leftovers. (BTW, I think it's a great recipe--Recipe #82827 at http://www.recipezaar.com/)

After the breakfast, the ward was split into groups to do different activities. First we listened to a few fun stories from Sister Vandermerwe (who was dressed like her gr.gr.grandmother 8 months pregnant & fox tail hat/fox nose necklace). She showed us how they would have played marbles with hazelnuts. Next we raced hoola hoops with sticks. Scot got that hang of it so quick I thought he wouldn't be able to stop at the end of the parking lot. The third station was the stick pull. The kids all tried their luck against one another. Even Brian challenged John (Ritzman). Official results for that challenge are not allowed to be posted at this time. Maggie even gave me a run for my money. The final activity was making a family lantern out of a #10 can. We nailed a "N", handcart, and star design. Scot thinks we should hang it in the front yard by the lampost. I think we'll get to know our neighbors a little better first.

After the activities, everyone went back into the cultural hall for a few closing stories. Sister terHorst had asked either Brian or me to share a pioneer heritage story. We decided Brian would share a story, and he told about Israel Barlow and the buggy whip. After he was finished, Sister terHorst said that she was also a decendent of Israel Barlow and that was the exact story she was going to share! They were able to talk family history a little bit after the program. I'm sure there will be more collaboration and chances to see where the lines connect. It was a fun celebration.


The rest of our day was spent relaxing, preparing for Sunday, and then ended with the Pioneer Day Broadcast from the Conference Center. It didn't begin until 9:30pm our time, but was well worth the wait, especially when we realized that...wait for it...The Osmonds were performing! Even though they were a little before our time it was fun to watch them perform with the Tabernacle Choir. It was the end of their 50th reunion tour and we laughed hysterically at the 70's music videos. I always get homesick when I watch events from the Conf. Center. I'm not sure why--I guess knowing that my family is close by makes we realize how much I miss them. Plus, just being a member of the church makes me wish I could be there with everyone else, rubbing elbows with the prophet, apostles, and church leaders. I'm so grateful for the technology that allows us to watch and enjoy in spirit.

2 comments:

Palomita said...

Hey, Sara! We MISS you! It's been fun to read your blog and catch up. It sounds like the adjustment has gone well. It seems so strange not to have you in church. Did you hear the crazy news about the changes in the bishopric. I still feel a little off-kilter! Ben conducted in Sacrament meeting yesterday for the first time. Pretty funny...

Come visit my blog, when you get the chance!

Tell Maggie and Amy that Bethany especially misses them.

Mary

Charlotte said...

It is so fun to read about your scout activities and I love your beautiful green lawn. Scot has a fun newpaper going. I hope you save a copy for future reference.
Your pioneer day sounds a lot better than Salt Lake's. I put in for tickets on-line for the Osmonds, but didn't get any. Ned used my computer and got tickets, so we used his tickets. Most people watched it on television. It has been rebroadcast several times. And I watched the parade on TV and the fireworks from my distant patio.
Charlotte