
After waiting 8 days for the water company to fix the water leak near our house, we decided to fill up our emergency water barrels with the free-flowing water. Last night Brian bought a water pump on the way home from work, hookup up the portable battery, and voila!, water storage. Unfortunately we ran out of time and battery power to fill up all the barrels, but all least we got a good start and saved a
fraction of the water from going down the drain. (Pumping 50 gallons in 10 minutes (and not affecting the water drainage, I figure
at least 300,000 gallons have leaked during this last week--and that is a
very conservative estimate.)

Rigged strainer to keep debris from being pumped.

Scot getting making interesting flow designs. Get out of the water Scot!!

James mesmerized by watching the water drain into the storm drain. This has been a favorite pasttime of all the kids on the street.


This is how far the water drained each day. At the top of the picture you can see our white van in front of our house.
Post Script: The water company fixed the leak this morning. For a while we had mud flowing instead of water, but don't worry, they used more water to wash away the mud.
4 comments:
this is quite a project. My favorite is the strainer! Would you drink that water without boiling?
We bleach it in the barrels, and will have to decide what condition it is in when the time comes to use it. We also have the pump filter.
of course you do :) I can't believe I didn't think of that.
I hope that was not a septic leak, otherwise you might think of more than bleach to make that drinkable. I know California has a toilet to tap program but that seems pretty adventurous.
Post a Comment