This isn't the post I was wanting to write about Amy, but I wanted everyone to be aware of a new health issue for her. After a skin prick test, she showed definitely positive for a tree nut allergy, especially almonds. This doesn't mean that she'll have a serious reaction every time she's exposed, but it is possible. She is also allergic to cats & dogs. (Sorry, Scot & James--this means no pets for a while.)
So we'll have to watch out for nuts and read more labels. Peanuts & peanut butter are fine, but she shouldn't have peanuts that have been processed with other types--no picking peanuts out of a mixed nut jar.
Mostly we'll take a preventative approach, but we do have an epi-pen and an inhaler just in case she has a serious reaction. Hopefully we'll never have to use them!
2 comments:
wow! good to know - just make sure you don't inject your thumb with the epi-pen instead of her thigh. what made you get her tested?
I suspected almonds because she broke out around her mouth after eating "Honey Bunches of Oats w/Almonds". I suspected cats after we went visiting teaching to a condo w/ multiple cats. She began wheezing & I think her tongue swelled. I will definitely practice not injecting myself. Thanks:)
Post a Comment