Wednesday, August 13, 2008

School Prep

While I can't officially report that we are ready for school, this week we came ten steps closer. Monday was Maggie's doctor's appointment. The office staff were all very nice as all 5 kids and I filed into the exam room. Maggie, of course, passed with flying colors, and I was grateful to have found a good pediatrician--it only took me 3 tries.
Tuesday we were able to tour the school for the first time at a New Family Orientation. Our 5th grade escort showed us down nearly every hallway and outside walkway. She was very enthusiastic, especially when we came to the nurses station which, she explained, was a very nice place to visit. It sounded like she'd visited a fair number of times since we learned where the ice packs, band-aids, and soothing washcloths were located. The boys and I were especially impressed with the large gym and stage. It will be nice to have these "luxuries" coming from Swallows which only had a large common room that quadrupled as cafeteria, gym, stage, and assembly hall.
Wednesday we were able to find out the kids new teachers when we picked up their "packet." This had more information and a letter from each of the teachers to the kids. Maggie will be in the morning kindergarten, and all three will ride the bus to and from school. The bus routes haven't posted yet, but they won't be nearly as early as the boys are used to leaving. The regular day begins at 9:10am and ends 3:40pm.
We have purchased most of the school supplies on the list. I'm still looking for plain single subject theme books, wide ruled. Everything I've seen so far has kittens or pop stars. I was a little embarrassed going down the aisle at Wal-mart with Amy (and Maggie) ogling at the Hannah Montana supplies. Please tell me my three year old isn't going to become a rock star fanatic. It may be time to nip it in the bud. (But what am I nipping? We don't even watch Hannah Montana!?!)
For all three, school can't come quick enough, and to be honest, I am getting to that point as well. It has been a great summer together--one we'll never forget, and one that can never be duplicated.

No comments: