Sunday, August 24, 2008

Stake Conference

Warning: This is a long post with many parenthetical descriptions!

This weekend we enjoyed our first stake conference here in Ohio. The stake center isn't too far away, only 25 minutes and right off the freeway. Whenever we attend stake conference my mind goes back to the conferences my family attended growing up. Our stake center was 2 hours away in Weiser, ID. My parents would always attend the Saturday adult session(s). I mostly remember playing at a nearby park while they were in the meeting. I'm sure when I was really young the boys (my brothers) watched me--most likely Erin & Joel. I remember 2 things about that park: 1) it had a really great twirling 1/2 carousel--the kind that uses centrifugal force to fling you to the outer edge if you're not holding onto the rail for dear life; 2) a boy that I played with one time--he asked how old I was, I told him "Seven--no, eight; I just had my birthday." I was so embarrassed that I couldn't remember how old I was. I always hoped there would be other kids playing (even if they were boys). I more hoped just to be able to go, to play at the park.

A few times we stayed overnight, but mostly we would drive home late Saturday night and drive back on Sunday morning. Driving home Sunday morning we were all exhausted. The reasons seemed varied why we never stayed over. Sometimes the motels had no vacancy, or perhaps my parents didn't want to spend the money. Either way, it translated to me a faithfulness to keep the Sabbath Day holy and attend all your meetings.

The kids all felt the exhaustiveness of stake conference driving home today, to which the humid heat promoted. Both Amy and Paul zonked within minutes of driving. Brian and I were grateful that everyone (especially Paul) had made it through the two hours. We sat on the stage, which apparently is not air-conditioned, but has a great view. Scot was able to "rest his eyes" during the meeting, (I agree that it's hard to stare at the back of someone's head for 2 hours, having done it myself last night) but I don't think he was really asleep. Paul managed to add a purple marker streak to his already colorfully bruised, scraped face. (The boys had taken him on a walk Saturday morning, and, while pushing the stroller to one another, tipped him over in the stroller. Any worse and we could turn him into the Phantom of the Opera for Halloween.)

Last night the kids were able to enjoy playing with a babysitter; Brian and I were able to enjoy attending the adult session by ourselves. On the drive we laughed over James' new plan for Brian to sue Disney's "Fast Play" DVD option. I had told the boys they could watch a movie when the babysitter was here and they quickly went through their movies options. James came into the kitchen and approached Brian. "Dad, we don't like Fast Play. Since you're an attorney, we want you to sue it." Brian replied that the system doesn't quite work that way-you don't sue because you don't like something (a good thought that should be passed around the world). Apparently the boys don't like this DVD feature because it forces them to watch all the upcoming attractions instead of skipping right into the movie. Should we worry that James could be serious about litigation, or worried that he will be a satirical genius?

Overall, it was a great weekend. My favorite ideas from stake conference were 1) the 10 second rule--this is the time to react to the promptings of the Holy Ghost before you reason yourself out of following them; and 2) "what are you willing to sacrifice to make your home sacred?"--an insight of the etymological relationship between sacrifice and sacred (look up the meaning of the two words and you'll understand what I mean).

Tomorrow the boys start school; Maggie will begin on Tuesday. Expect fun pictures of strained smiles from heavy backpacks.

No comments: